Monday, August 4, 2008

Grace upon Grace

Grace upon grace, water upon water. Those words have meant so much to me over the years, and yet every time I read them, they grip my heart even more!

If you haven’t read the Book…IF…by Amy Carmichael, get it and read it! But don’t be fooled by the small pamphlet size book that packs a punch to the heart and soul of a believer every time you open the pages. It is not meant to be read all in one sitting. It is much better to read a small amount and ponder the thoughts of this young woman who came from a well to do family who gave up everything to become a missionary. However in the last years of her life she was bed ridden in much pain, and yet wrote to encourage, and exhort others in Jesus.

I don't want to give away her ponderings in the book so I’ll give an example. If I want so badly to do something for Jesus, that it takes someone away from suffering that Jesus has allowed for the sake of making someone more into the image of Christ, then I know nothing of Calvary love. That’s just not the way American’s think….suffering? A good thing? Couldn’t be!

In the book Amy compares grace upon grace of the Bible, to water upon water…picture sitting next to a cool river on a hot day with the refreshing water rushing past. There is water in the river, and five minutes later there will still be water in that river, but it won’t be the same water. God is so amazing in the ways He works. The body of Christ is lavished with grace, God pours it upon His people. Even if we could hold God’s grace back as long and as hard as we can from someone else, soon the damn we build will burst with the endless supply that God pours into and it will pour out of us into the next part of the body, and to the next until we have grace flowing endlessly like a river refreshing all those who care to sit along the bank.

Grace upon grace, water upon water, water instead of water, Grace instead of grace.

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. II Corinthians 12:9-10



Blessings, Lady

No comments: